Monday, April 20, 2009

Maybe John Piper Was Right

About 5 years ago as a young, idealistic seminary student I read John Piper's book "Brothers, We Are Not Professionals." The book was good, well-written like most of his stuff, but it did not really catch my attention on a deep level. I agreed with what he was saying but I did not see the behaviors he was warning against as all that prevalent. I now see exactly what he was concerned about. The ministry has been professionalized. Ministers have traded the servants towel for the masters table. They are primarily concerned with being polished and dignified, never showing the weakness of a man in need of God's grace.

Now I see a new problem. Brothers, we are not rockstars! I am very frustrated by the number of pastors, music ministers, and youth ministers that seem to have put aside the dim light of the study for the limelight. It’s narcissism at its best, or worst. The fact is that this is not a new challenge for ministers. Pastors are the face of a ministry. That cannot be avoided. You have to go on stage sometime in order to preach or teach. The problem comes when you let it be about you not God. Let me remind you, God does not need you! You are not that pretty. Before being clothed in the righteousness of Christ you were downright repulsive. Some of that repulsiveness bleeds through those white clothes occasionally like when we begin to think we deserve recognition, acclaim, or a following.

I heard on the radio the other day that Shaq twitters. That sounds strange but it is true. Apparently he recently took a picture of himself getting a shave and sent it to millions of his closest friends via twitter. This is funny to me. However, it is troubling to me that pastors are doing the same thing, telling people where they are eating supper, or playing golf as if their followers care.

Maybe they do care, and that is the other side of the problem. People, do not treat your pastor like a celebrity and pastors, do not act like you are a celebrity.

That is what I am thinking about.

No comments:

Post a Comment